Chocolate. This is by far the most commonly ingested pet poison found in the home. It may be safe, and even pleasurable, for us to eat, but it spells disaster for your dog if he eats even a small amount. Your dog cannot process a component of chocolate which results in a build up of toxins that can be fatal.
Rodent pesticides. It may seem safe to put that rat poison out in the basement, but it’s best to alway put pesticides in an area your dog cannot reach, like up high, under kitchen cabinets (try removing drawers to gain access), and in the attic. Never, ever put out pesticides where your dog can get to them.
Human vitamins. Dogs process vitamins and minerals differently than we do, so they cannot tolerate the same disagrees of these “healthy” supplements as we do. Plus, Fluffy may see you “eating” these seemingly yummy substances and decide to chew the lid off and help himself when you’re not looking. Keep all supplements out of reach of your dog at all times.
Medications. Human medications may be necessary for our good health, but they’re not good for your dog. A child-proof lid is not enough to deter a curious pup, so keep them in a locked box or medicine cabinet (not in your purse or on the counter).
Xylitol. This common artificial sweetener is often found in sugarless chewing gums and mints. If you keep these items in your coat pockets or purse, always keep them out of reach of your dog. He may sniff them out when you’re not looking and eat whatever he can find. Xylitol ingestion can be fatal to dogs.
Houseplants. When you bring home a dog, you’ll need to inspect your houseplants for varieties known to be toxic to dogs. These include sago palms, tulips, oleander, hyacinths, poinsettias, azaleas, lilies, and amaryllis.
Cleaners. That pretty blue water in the toilet bowl probably contains bleach and other potentially toxic substances that can make your dog sick. Keep all cleaning supplies in a locked cabinet and don’t leave them out in the open while cleaning.
Lawn chemicals. Be sure to read, understand, and follow all directions for lawn chemicals, specifically the time periods restricting contact with your pet after applications.
Antifreeze. This common large fluid is sweet to taste and is fatal to dogs and cats. Clean up any spills using cat liter or absorbent materials and be sure to flush any contaminated areas with water prior to letting your dog in the area.
Top Ten Cat Toxins
Lilies: All plants in the lily family, if ingested, can cause kidney failure in cats. These plants are common, so be especially careful what types of plants you have accessible in your home.
Household cleaners: Watch especially for concentrated products like toilet or drain cleaners, which can cause chemical burns.
Flea and tick prevention products for dogs: Certain pyrethroid based products can cause tremors and seizures in cats and are potentially deadly if ingested.
Antidepressants: According to Pet Age, cats seem strangely drawn to these medications. Keep them tightly sealed and out of reach, as they can have damaging neurological and cardiac effects on cats.
NSAIDs: Drugs like Ibuprofen found in Advil, Motrin, Aleve, etc are even more dangerous to cats than they are to dogs. Even those meant for pets should be used with caution.
Prescription ADD/ADHD medication: Can cause tremors, seizures or other cardiac problems that could be fatal to cats.
Over the counter cough, cold & allergy medicine: Those containing acetaminophen (like Tylenol) are particularly dangerous can do damage to red blood cells and cause liver failure.
Insoluble Oxalate Plants: Other common household plants like the philodendron and pothos can cause oral irritation, foaming at the mouth and inflammation.
Household Insecticides: Most sprays and powders are fairly safe, but it’s best to keep cats away until the product is fully dried or settled.
Glow Sticks: Though these may seem like cute toys to cats, if punctured, the chemicals inside can cause pain and foaming at the mouth. If exposed to these, food and water are a safe remedy.
Top Ten Dog Toxins
Chocolate: Dark and bakers chocolate are the worst, and milk chocolate in large amounts can also be dangerous.
Xylitol (sugarless gum sweetener): Also found in some candies, medications and nasal sprays, this sweetener causes a fast drop in blood sugar and possible liver failure in dogs.
NSAIDs: Drugs like Ibuprofen found in Advil, Motrin, Aleve, etc. Dogs are not good a digesting these and the continued exposure can cause stomach ulcers and kidney failure.
Over the counter cough, cold & allergy medicine: Particularly those containing acetaminophen or decongestants.
Mouse and Rat Poison: Even small amounts may cause internal bleeding or swelling of the brain in dogs.
Grapes & Raisins: May cause kidney damage.
Insect bait stations: While these stations themselves are not poisonous to dogs, pets who are intrigued by the plastic casing and swallow it may experience obstruction in their bowels.
Prescription ADD/ADHD medication: Can cause tremors, seizures or other cardiac problems that could be fatal to dogs.
Glucosamine joint supplements: These can be extremely tasty for pets, and in excess can cause diarrhea or even liver failure in dogs.
Silica gel packets & oxygen absorbers: While the gel packets found in new shoes or purses do not pose a significant threat, oxygen absorbers found in food packages, even pet treats, can cause iron poisoning